Free ebooks by Project Gutenberg
Some of Our Latest Books
Project Gutenberg offers over 50,000 free ebooks: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online.
We carry high quality ebooks: Our ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers. We digitized and diligently proofread them with the help of thousands of volunteers.
No fee or registration is required, but if you find Project Gutenberg useful, we kindly ask you to donate a small amount so we can buy and digitize more books. Other ways to help include digitizing more books, recording audio books, or reporting errors.
Over 100,000 free ebooks are available through our Partners, Affiliates and Resources.
Our ebooks may be freely used in the United States because most are not protected by U.S. copyright law, usually because their copyrights have expired. They may not be free of copyright in other countries. Readers outside of the United States must check the copyright laws of their countries before downloading or redistributing our ebooks. We also have a number of copyrighted titles, for which the copyright holder has given permission for unlimited non-commercial worldwide use.
The Project Gutenberg website is for human users only. Any real or perceived use of automated tools to access our site will result in a block of your IP address. This site utilizes cookies, captchas and related technologies to help assure the site is maximally available for human users only.
The TPP is passed, and not ratified
Project Gutenberg is concerned about a new international treaty, the Trans-Pacific Partnership. The treaty text is online at https://ustr.gov/trade-agreements/free-trade-agreements/trans-pacific-partnership/tpp-full-text . It includes a section on "Intellectual Property" which would force copyright term extensions and other restrictions on the public domain. Visit https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp for some analysis of the TPP's negative impacts. The TPP has been signed, but not ratified within signatory countries. There is time to make your views known to your lawmakers.
Visit self.gutenberg.org to see how Project Gutenberg is facilitating online publishing by contemporary authors. This new service is bringing the Project Gutenberg moniker to authors in virtually any genre or subject. The portal is open at self.gutenberg.org and invites all readers and publishers. All items are free to download and share. There is also an RSS feed.
Loss of Project Gutenberg's founder, Michael S. Hart (1947-2011)
Project Gutenberg's founder, Michael Hart, passed away September 6, 2011. Here is our brief obituary and related documents.
The Online Book Catalog
- Book Search: Search for books.
- Recent Books: The latest books.
- Most Downloaded Books: The most popular books.
- Audio Books, both human-read and computer-generated.
- Bookshelves: Groupings of related books.
- CD and DVD Project. Make your own library.
- Mobile Reader Devices How-To: about kindle, nook, cell phone, and other mobile devices
- New Books Feeds: ways to keep you updated on new publications.
- Offline Catalogs: handy ebook Listings to consult offline.
- Browse Catalog: more ways to browse, search the book catalog. Includes links to full-text search
- Report errors, bugs, typos (or, see detailed information about errata reporting)
- Top 100 Books and Authors: the most downloaded books and authors.
- About Us: About Project Gutenberg.
- No Cost or Freedom? What does 'free ebook' mean?
- License and Trademark information: What you are allowed to do with the books you download.
- Linking Readme: Information for people who want to link to our site.
- Robot Readme: Information for people who want to robot our site.
- Donate: How to make a donation to Project Gutenberg.
- News and Newsletters: Our news site. Contains our monthly newsletter and archives.
- How-To's: In depth information about different topics.
- FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions.
- Partners, Affiliates and Resources: A collection of links.
- Credits: Thanks to our most prominent volunteers.
- Mailing lists: Join our mailing lists.
- Contact Information: How to get in touch.