Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg
From Project Gutenberg, the first producer of free ebooks.
Some of Our Latest Books
Project Gutenberg offers over 46,000 free ebooks: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online.
We carry high quality ebooks: All our ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers. We digitized and diligently proofread them with the help of thousands of volunteers.
No fee or registration is required, but if you find Project Gutenberg useful, we kindly ask you to donate a small amount so we can buy and digitize more books. Other ways to help include digitizing more books, recording audio books, or reporting errors.
Over 100,000 free ebooks are available through our Partners, Affiliates and Resources.
Watch out for TPP!
Project Gutenberg is concerned about a new secret international treaty, the Trans-Pacific Partnership. This will extend copyright term protection worldwide, thus halting the growth of the public domain. To learn more, and join Project Gutenberg in speaking out against this treaty, visit The Internet Archive
Visit self.gutenberg.org to see how Project Gutenberg is facilitating online publishing by contemporary authors. This new service is bringing the Project Gutenberg moniker to authors in virtually any genre or subject. The portal is open at self.gutenberg.org and invites all readers and publishers. All items are free to download and share. There is also an RSS feed, at http://self.gutenberg.org/rss/authors.aspx.
Loss of Project Gutenberg's founder, Michael S. Hart (1947-2011)
Michael's 67th birthday would have been March 8, 2014. Here are some thoughts and remembrances from Jim Berger, along with a photo from one of his presentations. Project Gutenberg's founder, Michael Hart, passed away September 6. Here is our brief obituary and related documents.
Our ebooks may be freely used in the United States because most are not protected by U.S. copyright law, usually because their copyrights have expired. They may not be free of copyright in other countries. Readers outside of the United States must check the copyright laws of their countries before downloading or redistributing our ebooks. We also have a number of copyrighted titles, for which the copyright holder has given permission for unlimited non-commercial worldwide use.
The Project Gutenberg website is for human users only. Any real or perceived use of automated tools to access our site will result in a block of your IP address.
The Online Book Catalog
- Book Search: Search for books.
- Recent Books: The latest books.
- Most Downloaded Books: The most popular books.
- Audio Books, both human-read and computer-generated.
- Bookshelves: Groupings of related books.
- CD and DVD Project. Download entire CDs or DVDs, or have a free disc sent to you.
- Digitized Sheet Music (dormant).
- Free Kindle Books: about free kindle books at Project Gutenberg.
- Mobile Reader Devices How-To: about kindle, nook, cell phone, and other mobile devices
- New Books Feeds: ways to keep you updated on new publications.
- Offline Catalogs: handy ebook Listings to consult offline.
- Old Online Catalog: more ways to browse the book catalog.
- Report errors, bugs, typos (or, see detailed information about errata reporting)
- Top 100 Books and Authors: the most downloaded books and authors.
- About Us: About Project Gutenberg.
- No Cost or Freedom? What does 'free ebook' mean?
- License and Trademark information: What you are allowed to do with the books you download.
- Linking Readme: Information for people who want to link to our site.
- Robot Readme: Information for people who want to robot our site.
- Donate: How to make a donation to Project Gutenberg.
- News and Newsletters: Our news site. Contains our monthly newsletter and archives.
- How-To's: In depth information about different topics.
- FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions.
- Partners, Affiliates and Resources: A collection of links.
- Credits: Thanks to our most prominent volunteers.
- Mailing lists: Join our mailing lists.
- Contact Information: How to get in touch.
- Volunteering. How you can help Project Gutenberg.
- Distributed Proofreaders. Help create an eBook. Getting started is easy, and just a page a day will help!
- LibriVox. Help record audio books by joining LibriVox.
- Provide missing pages. Help us complete projects. Take a look at our list of missing pages and find some for us.
- Promote Project Gutenberg on your web site.
The Project Gutenberg Wiki
The Project Gutenberg Wiki will become a place full of useful information to the ebook community. You are invited to contribute.