Free ebooks by Project Gutenberg
Some of Our Latest Books
Project Gutenberg offers over 53,000 free ebooks: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online.
We carry high quality ebooks: Most Project Gutenberg ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers. We digitized and diligently proofread them with the help of thousands of volunteers.
No fee or registration is required, but if you find Project Gutenberg useful, we kindly ask you to donate a small amount so we can buy and digitize more books, maintain our online presence, and improve Project Gutenberg programs and offerings. Other ways to help include digitizing more books, recording audio books, or reporting errors.
Many more free ebooks are available through our Partners, Affiliates and Resources.
Our ebooks may be freely used in the United States because most are not protected by U.S. copyright law, usually because their copyrights have expired. They may not be free of copyright in other countries. Readers outside of the United States must check the copyright laws of their countries before downloading or redistributing our ebooks. We also have a number of copyrighted titles, for which the copyright holder has given permission for unlimited non-commercial worldwide use.
The Project Gutenberg website is for human users only. Any real or perceived use of automated tools to access our site will result in a block of your IP address. This site utilizes cookies, captchas and related technologies to help assure the site is maximally available for human users only.
The Public Domain will grow again in 2019
In the US, annual copyright term expiry is set to begin again in 2019, after a 20-year hiatus due to the Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998. On January 1, 2019, items published in 1923 will enter the public domain in the US. In the early days of Project Gutenberg, growth of the public domain on January 1 was an annual event. See Duke Law's "Public Domain Day"for a listing of many items that were scheduled to enter the public domain, but have yet to do so because of the 1998 extension.
It is possible that a new copyright term extension law will be introduced and passed, while attention is elsewhere during the final days of the current US congress. The 1998 extension, which was the last of 14 copyright term extensions in the 20th century, occurred at the same time as the impeachment of President Bill Clinton. Distraction was a benefit to that law's passage, and it is conceivable that history could repeat itself. Project Gutenberg is in favor of renewed growth of the public domain due to limited-term copyright.
Some notable items scheduled to enter the public domain in 2019 include Felix Salten's "Bambi" and Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet."
The Online Book Catalog
- Book Search: Search for books.
- Recent Books: The latest books.
- Most Downloaded Books: The most popular books.
- Top 100 Books and Authors: The most downloaded books and authors this month.
- Audio Books, both human-read and computer-generated.
- Bookshelves: Groupings of related books.
- CD and DVD Project. Make your own library.
- Mobile Reader Devices How-To: about kindle, nook, cell phone, and other mobile devices
- New Books Feeds: ways to keep you updated on new publications.
- Offline Catalogs: handy book Listings to consult offline.
- Browse Catalog: more ways to browse, search the book catalog. Includes links to full-text search
- Report errors, bugs, typos (or, see detailed information about errata reporting)
- Affiliate: Visit self.gutenberg.org, for free books by contemporary authors.
- About Us: About Project Gutenberg.
- No Cost or Freedom? What does 'free ebook' mean?
- License and Trademark information: What you are allowed to do with the books you download.
- Linking Readme: Information for people who want to link to our site.
- Robot Readme: Information for people who want to robot our site.
- Donate: How to make a donation to Project Gutenberg.
- News and Newsletters: Our news site. Contains our monthly newsletter and archives.
- How-To's: In depth information about different topics.
- FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions.
- Partners, Affiliates and Resources: A collection of links.
- Credits: Thanks to our most prominent volunteers.
- Mailing lists: Join our mailing lists.
- Contact Information: How to get in touch.